Monday, June 7, 2010

We've been here almost a week now and I know a little bit more about America and its people than I did a week ago! I know now that it is a country of convenience and plenty; drive-thru ATM's, drive-thru pharmacies, not to mention the many drive-thru eateries! It's great, one rarely has to get out of the car! Water gushes from the taps, shelves are packed full of goodies, it seems they could want for little. The roads are big, cars are even bigger, and as for the people..... Everything seems well looked after; lawns are neatly trimmed, driveways swept, houses tidy and cars/trucks tucked away into the many garages. You seldom see people 'out and about' on the streets, only in convenience stores!

The people we've met so far, from the bank manager to our sponsors, could not have been more friendly. There's always a 'have a nice day', a nod and a smile and when they discover we're English (or think we're Australian!) there's even more excitement!
Today, at Home Depot, I asked a nice man where I could find 'curtain rods' and he didn't have a clue! Not as to where there were, but, what was I asking for??? He could not understand me, i might as well have been speaking Dutch!
Oh, and I've just roasted a chicken upside down! I didn't know it was possible, but it was so big and meaty that it's breats were on both sides!

1 comment: